When we were in Hawaii we had the best coconut shrimp at the Halekulani. I’d try to recreate the shrimp, but my husband doesn’t really do shrimp. Don’t ask. It’s unfortunate.
I set out to find a recipe for coconut chicken. I’ve decided I’m going to add this meal to our regular rotation. It’s fairly simple to make & it reminds me of a beach vacation. Who’s on board?
Coconut Chicken with grilled pineapple + mango
- 1/2 cup light coconut milk
- 3 tbsp soy sauce
- 1 tbsp sriracha sauce
- 1 tbsp minced fresh ginger
- 2 chicken breasts (I used boneless & sliced up into smaller pieces like tenders)
- 1/2 cup panko bread crumbs
- 1/3 cup shredded coconut
- 3/4 cup rice vinegar
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 tbsp soy sauce
- 1 tbsp sriracha
- 1/4 cup sliced green onions (garnish)
- Sliced pineapple
- Sliced Mango
- 1/3 cup light coconut milk
- 1-2 tbsp dark rum
- 2 tbsp brown sugar
- Mince ginger. In a container or plastic ziploc add in coconut milk, soy sauce and sriracha and chicken breasts. Marinate chicken overnight or for at least 4 hours.
- In separate container add coconut milk, dark rum and brown sugar to pineapple and mango slices. Marinate for about 4 hours.
- In bowl mix panko bread crumbs and shredded coconut. Dredge marinated chicken in this mix
- Place on baking pan and bake at 350 for 30 minutes or until chicken is cooked through.
- In a sauce pan mix rice vinegar, soy sauce, sugar, and sriracha together.
- Heat until boiling and sauce is cooked down and thick. Do not burn.
- Serve warm. Top chicken with sauce and sprinkle with sliced green onions for garnish.
- Pre-heat grill. Either use non-stick cooking spray or use Reynold’s non-stick foil before placing fruit on grill. You can also broil fruit in oven.
- Grill fruit on each side for about 4 minutes each.
- Top with brown sugar before serving.
recipe adjusted from this blog